Criss Angel wasn’t pulling a publicity stunt when he passed out during his straight jacket act and says the proof is in the audience. Criss told us his 82-year-old mom and his 3-year-old son were front and center at Friday night’s…
Senator Marco Rubio’s taking a shot at Snoop Dogg over his music video taking a more literal shot at President Trump. We got Rubio at Reagan National Airport, and he took a strong stance against Snoop’s “Lavender” music video … and the imagery of…
The head of a national women’s rights group is calling for the NFL to suspend Ezekiel Elliott — claiming his shirt-pulling stunt at a St. Patty’s Day parade in Dallas was “a clear act of sexual assault.” We spoke with Shaunna Thomas — co-founder…
Darius McCrary’s wife is divorcing him, and wants the judge to keep him away from their infant daughter until he gets help for booze, drugs and rage. Tammy Brawner filed in L.A. citing irreconcilable differences, and made it clear she has…
Chief Keef is free to drive around without fear of getting pulled over … for unlicensed driving, anyway. The 21-year-old rapper just got his California state drivers license — which is pretty shocking news, considering how many freakin’ cars the…
Amber Tamblyn‘s daughter already has friends in high places.
In February, the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants alum announced that she and husband David Cross welcomed their first child, and on Monday Tamblyn, 33, officially revealed her baby girl’s birth name — Marlow Alice Cross — in a letter written by former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to the newborn.
“Dear Marlow: Happy Birthday!” the note, dated Feb. 15, reads. “Your birth has been a source of great joy for your parents, Amber and David, and your vast community of admirers and champions. I send my best wishes to you for a lifetime of amazing accomplishments and adventures, full of love, learning, and friendship. With warm regards, I am Sincerely yours, Hillary Rodham Clinton.”
And Clinton’s letter to Marlow was a complete surprise for the actress.
“The one day I decide to put mascara on Hillary Clinton sends us this letter for our daughter. Crying now,” Tamblyn wrote on Instagram Monday. “A letter from one spectacular woman who has lived so much to another who has only just begun. My heart is as full as this diaper I’m about to change. Thank you, Hillary, grandmother to us all.”
Neither Tamblyn nor Cross, 52, had publicly shared the name of their daughter, instead the couple, who married in 2012, had a little fun with their birth announcement. “David and I are proud to announce the birth of our daughter, Dauphinoise Petunia Brittany Scheherazade Von Funkinstein Mustard Witch RBG Cross Tamblyn-Bey Jr.,” the new mom captioned an Instagram video a week after Marlow’s birth.
FROM COINAGE: See Where 6 Stars Were Before They Were Famous
Want all the latest pregnancy and birth announcements, plus celebrity mom blogs? Click here to get those and more in the PEOPLE Babies newsletter.
Tamblyn announced her pregnancy in October via an empowering essay she wrote for Glamour, where she discussed the challenges she will face in raising a daughter.
“How much do I have to do, as a daughter and a soon-to-be mother, to change not just the conversation about how women are seen, but the language with which conversations are spoken in?” wrote the actress and poet, who also opened up last year about her past experience with sexual assault.
“I’ve been thinking about motherhood a lot lately. What it means to be one, what it means to have one, what it means to know one, what it means to make decisions as one and have conversations as one,” continued Tamblyn, who met up with close friends Blake Lively and America Ferrera at multiple women’s marches in January.
Congressional candidate Alejandra Campoverdi is taking President Trump‘s plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act very personally.
The 37-year-old former White House aide to President Obama publicly revealed last week that she has a genetic mutation called BRCA2, which means she has an 85-percent likelihood of developing breast cancer.
The disease claimed the lives of her grandmother and great-grandmother and almost took her mother’s, and now Campoverdi is making her BRCA2 diagnosis — and her decision to have a preventative double mastectomy in two years — the centerpiece of her campaign to fill Xavier Becerra’s vacant congressional seat in California’s 34th district.
“Health care is a life or death issue for so many Americans, so many people in my district in Los Angeles,” Campoverdi tells PEOPLE. “Sometimes we can get into debates that are very theoretical about issues, and forget that there’s a lot personally on the line for people every day — that every day someone doesn’t have access to health care, or that every day somebody has a bill that puts them in the position of going bankrupt.”
“I’m fine being vulnerable about , because if it’s able to bring the attention back to people, which is what this is all about, then it’s worth it for me,” she adds.
Campoverdi is one of 23 candidates running to fill the seat vacated by Becerra, now the California attorney general, in the April 4 special election. The top two candidates will continue onto a runoff election in June.
Campoverdi says the catalyst for her congressional run was the election of President Trump, whose proposed American Health Care Act has been met with resistance from both Democrats and Republicans in Washington, and whose threat to support continued federal funding for Planned Parenthood only if it stopped providing abortion services was swiftly rejected by the women’s health organization. Just Monday, the Congressional Budget Office reported that under the House Obamacare repeal plan, fourteen million more people would be uninsured in 2018 than under current law.
Campoverdi, who says she worked to help pass Obamacare as an aide in the Obama White House “because I knew it would save lives,” challenged Trump by name in her first TV campaign ad.
“If Donald Trump wants to have a conversation about women’s bodies, let’s start with mine,” she says in the ad that debuted Thursday, two days after she went public with her diagnosis in a Washington Post interview.
“I don’t trust Donald Trump — or Republicans — to be honest about my health care,” Campoverdi explains to PEOPLE. “President Trump needs to think about how his disastrous policies are going to affect women and women’s health. And holding him accountable for that is something that I plan to do and to do very boldly. Where I come from, there’s no other way than to speak truth to power. I don’t come from the privilege of being able to be quiet, and I’m not intimidated by that at all.”
RELATED VIDEO: Watch: Natasha Stoynoff Breaks Silence, Accuses Donald Trump of Sexual Attack
Campoverdi says that as someone who was raised by a single mother, who has been on welfare and who was “the scholarship kid” at the different universities she’s attended (which includes Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government), she’s “understood these issues in a very first-hand way.”
But when it comes to her family battle with breast cancer and all the heartache and trauma that has come with it, “My experience isn’t unique,” she says. “Most women have experiences around their health … and a lot of women have experiences that really pull into focus exactly the real-life implications of a lot of the issues that are on the table in Washington right now.”
FROM COINAGE: This Is How Much It Would Cost to Paint the White House (And More Crazy Facts)
As a woman and a feminist, she says, “I take my own personal responsibility to speak up and to be a voice on these issues — but I also encourage other women to do the same. Because just one voice isn’t enough and where we’re really able to have power in Washington and really move the needle is if it’s a chorus of voices. And I think you see the power of that in the Women’s March and the Women’s Strike.”
Campoverdi was still hard at work on International Women’s Day, but she spent the day visiting with a group of women who participated in the strike.
“We spoke about these issues and everyone shared their experiences and really supported each other in taking a stand and being a voice within our own respective industries. Because this is not a fight just for those in politics — this is a fight for everyone, whether you’re in entertainment or business or entrepreneurship or health or education. And so supporting each other and encouraging each other to own ourselves really publicly and loudly and to continue the drum beat is I think the best thing we can do right now.”
For her part, Campoverdi plans to carry the drum beat for affordable health care straight to Capitol Hill.
“And that means keeping the pressure on Republicans, that means keeping the pressure on President Trump, and also using every megaphone possible to hold folks accountable to the realities of what a lack of access to health care really means and what’s really at stake,” she says.
A teenage girl in Philadelphia was the victim of sex trafficking, over two years, at a motel that knowingly profited from her exploitation, she alleges in a new civil suit.
The suit — filed Friday in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court — specifically accuses the Roosevelt Inn in Philadelphia, its manager, Yagna Patel, and its parent company, UFVS Management Company, of profiting by renting rooms used in the teen’s prostitution.
The girl “was 14 years old when she was forced into the illegal sex trade in 2013 and was exploited through 2014,” her lawyers alleged in a statement.
“The Philadelphia girl, now 17, was dressed in sexually explicit clothing and was ‘visibly treated in an aggressive manner’ by traffickers,” the statement claims, quoting from the lawsuit.
The complaint, which was obtained by PEOPLE, alleges the defendants “knew or had constructive knowledge” that the victim was “being sexually exploited” at the Roosevelt motel.
The suit further alleges they failed to intervene or contact police and continued to pocket revenue from the room rentals, as the teen was trafficked.
Her attorneys say the civil suit is the first “among many to come” against hotel and motel owners for allegedly profiting from sex trafficking.
“It’s an ongoing epidemic that requires attention,” attorney Nadeem Bezar, with the Philadelphia-based firm Kline & Specter PC, tells PEOPLE.
A call to the Roosevelt Inn to seek a manager or an attorney was answered by a man who declined to give his name. “We are not making any comment ’til we figure out what it is,” he tells PEOPLE. “They have to investigate everything before they can make a statement.”
An employee who answered at UFVS Management also said the company had no comment, but they declined to identify themselves.
Patel, the motel manager, told Philly.com he had “no knowledge” that the teen had been victimized on his property. “We just rent the room and that’s all we can do,” he said. (Patel could not immediately be reached by PEOPLE.)
• Pick up PEOPLE’s special edition True Crime Stories: Cases That Shocked America, on sale now, for the latest on Casey Anthony, JonBenét Ramsey and more.
The suit alleges her traffickers placed Internet advertisements that listed her under a fake name and directed customers to call a phone number and settle on a cash price for sex, then they were directed to the Roosevelt Inn.
“An individual named ‘Abdul’ would hold himself out as the clerk, staff member or employee at the Roosevelt Inn,” the suit claims. “‘Abdul’ would then direct the individual to the floor and room where and her traffickers were staying. ‘Abdul’ was fully aware that and other underage children were compelled to perform sex for money.”
The suit claims the defendants know who “Abdul” is.
The complaint alleges men “stood in the hallways” outside of the room where the teen was engaged in sex acts and that the room “contained used condoms and condom wrappers and … frequently smelled of marijuana.”
Bezar, the teen’s attorney, says her accusations have been successfully prosecuted in criminal court.
“It was absolutely a police investigation. The traffickers were arrested, were thoroughly prosecuted, have either pled or were found guilty and the police as well as the prosecuting attorneys were 100 percent on top of this situation,” Bezar says.
“Both the Philadelphia Police Department and the prosecutor’s office have been really conscientious about doing what they can to stamp it out,” he says.
“This is game of what I call ‘whack-a-mole’ — it just keeps cropping up, and you just keep knocking ’em out.”
Philadelphia police did not immediately respond to a request from PEOPLE to provide records of prior criminal complaints or arrests at the motel address. The prosecutor’s office also did not immediately respond to inquiries.
However, the Roosevelt has been the site of multiple prostitution stings in recent years, according to local news outlets. One such pair of arrests, in October 2014, allegedly involved the sexual exploitation of children, Metro Philadelphia reports.
The teen’s civil suit was filed under an existing statute that was amended in 2014 to allow for civil penalties against those alleged to be “enticing, recruiting, harboring (and) forcing unwilling participants and minors into sexual servitude,” Bezar says.
“She was not an employee of the hotel,” Bezar says of the girl. “It was a staging area.”
“She was a young kid separated from her family, did what she needed to do to find shelter and as a result ended up with the wrong crowd, slowly lured into this kind of lifestyle and this method of survival,” he says. “Sadly, I don’t think it’s uncommon.”
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Today, Bezar tells PEOPLE, the teen is back with her family.
“She’s struggling, trying to get her life back together,” he says.
Her suit seeks more than $50,000 in compensatory and punitive damages.
In a statement, Bezar’s fellow attorney Tom Kline said: “This lawsuit is the first among many to come that will hold hotel and motel owners, among others, accountable when they knowingly allow victimization of the most vulnerable in our society.”
Neil Patrick Harris just got inked!
The actor celebrated the second season pickup of his Netflix show, A Series of Unfortunate Events, by getting his first-ever tattoo.
Harris, 43, chose a “scamp stamp” of the Volunteer Fire Department (V.F.D.) insignia on his ankle, courtesy of tattoo artist Anderson Luna. “We got picked up for Season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I got this to celebrate. #firsttattoo #anklebone #oof #olaf #scampstamp,” NPH captioned his tattoo photos on Instagram and Twitter.
— Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) March 13, 2017
Unfortunate Events fans know the V.F.D. symbol to be of the secret society which main characters Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire are members of.
FROM COINAGE: How To Spend The Night In the Fanciest Homes Around the World
The first season, which premiered in January, covered the first four (of 13) books following the adventures of three orphans who constantly escape the schemes of a greedy relative (Harris) on the hunt for their family’s fortune. Along the way, Olaf dons well over a dozen disguises and accents, thus requiring an actor of certain versatility for the part.
Shannen Doherty is taking an emotional trip down memory lane.
In August 2015, Doherty, 45, exclusively revealed to PEOPLE that she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since opening up about her cancer battle, the actress has frequently shared health updates with followers and fans on social media, including her first day of radiation and going to her appointments with her mother by her side.
On Monday, the 90210 alum took to Instagram to share very personal footage from a monumental moment in her breast cancer journey: the day she shaved her head.
“This day….. laughing thru the tears. Thank you @annemkortright for jumping in and doing what needed to be done. @themamarosa,” Doherty captioned the video of herself laughing as her friend Anne Kortright-Shilstat shaved her dark hair with an electric clipper.
“Right now I look like Bart Simpson,” she said in the video as her head was shaved.
In July 2016, Doherty first revealed in a series of black and white photos on Instagram that she had shaved her head, documenting the six-steps that took her from shoulder-length hair to a buzz cut. With Kortright-Shilstat and mom Rosa Elizabeth by her side, Doherty walked fans thought the emotional process.
FROM COINAGE: The Most Expensive TV Shows of All Time
“#fbf to this morning… not that long ago. Last day of chemo. Exhausted,” Doherty’s caption began. In the social media photo, Doherty, who is snuggled in between the sheets of her bed, stares solemnly into the camera.
“Now that I’m done with chemo and radiation, the waiting game is here. Waiting for test. Waiting to see if I’m clear or not. Waiting for reconstruction. Waiting,” the post continued.
She concluded: “I think when one gets cancer, they are always waiting to a certain extent. To those who know… I’m waiting with you. #cancerslayer.”